Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Review: Severed Stone by Kelly Walker

Severed Stone (Souls of the Stones)                              

From Goodreads:

Immortality is my prison. I broke the bonds of brotherhood because I once loved a girl whose hand was not as available as her heart. Cursed by the gods, I watch countless generations live with the consequences of my transgression. Even with the gift of foresight, I cannot say I would be strong enough to turn away if given the opportunity. And were she cursed to watch the destruction unfold by my immortal side, I would without a doubt make the same fated choices. But Tomorrow is a cruel mistress, and the first death I witnessed as part of my damnation was that of my beloved. -Fidwen Roth

Their story should have been a fairytale, but someone is playing a dangerous game that can only end in heartbreak.

When Ciorstan awakes alone in a field, far from home and more than a little confused, it won't be the strangest thing to happen that day. Ignoring both her intuition and a mysterious but handsome stranger's warning, she allows a dashing prince to take her home to his palace. 

Agreeing to marry the prince was her second mistake. 

Her next one will rip an entire kingdom apart. Sometimes, true love can be a tragedy with devastating consequences. 

                     My Review:

     This is my first copy from Netgalley. I am quite intrigue from the blurb and this one's a prequel  to the Souls of the stone plus the cover caught my attention.
   
     As I read this book, I can't help but to notice the unique names...specially our heroine, Ciorstan. It  even sounded like a word from the tongue twisters?! Can we do the tongue twister without reading aloud?   I can't help but smile... and shook my head.
 
    This story is supposed to sound like a regular faerytale but its not. Ciorstan here is a pretty maiden who lives in the middle of the forest with her witch mom.  Yes, you heard me right... witch mom.. well, not the witch with broom type but  one who mixes herbs  and stuff to make potion and probably cast spells. And unlike, Rapunzel when her witch mom tried to hide her from the rest of the world... Ciorstan's mom wants her to marry a prince!  It was talk of the town that the King of Thaelestrar challenge his sons that whoever brings home a bride and produce an heir will be the next rightful king. When her mom brought this up to her, she is hesitant with the idea. But then...

  She found herself in the middle of the forest.. being approached by Prince Selwyn.. and eeeeeeep! ask for her hand just like that! Ciorstan did not say No but she did not say Yes either! Looks likes she's in daze? Probably shock? She is overwhelmed for sure! Next thing she knows she.. she is inside the castle to be presented as Prince Selwyn's bride to be! Wait! This is happening so fast! Can I even call this a whirlwind romance when I see no romance between them?!

   Then she met Erwyn, and she felt instant attraction and vice versa. Hmmm, so I say, a love triangle in the making? And I was shocked she let him kissed her?!  Then , Erwyn asked her to choose him over Selwyn?! What kind of mess is this???  But then, Ciorstan realized that they might be under a spell? She needs to undo this before its too late!  

      So, here comes brother # 3.. Fidwen. What can I say about him? He is the one hiding inside the palace library... studies magic , spells etc. Ciorstan approached him to help her undo the spell. But when Fidwen saw her , he felt something. He wants Ciorstan too!  Arrrrgh! So, now 3 brothers are after her hand and heart?! I cannot really connect where this story is heading!  Could there be such a thing as "love quandrangle"?! Well, this is it!



     And at last , Ciorstan finally decided to choose Fidwen. And spell and enchantments follows.  The brothers Selwyn and Erwyn left their kingdom . (Just because Ciorstan chose Fidwen?!) . And there's a spell to undo the past but not totally undo?! What... on earth is that?! I was really trying to follow .. but it seems that the story has  been scattered  and then compressed at the end. It did  not make any sense at all.  Yes, it somewhat explained how the three brothers choose to part ways and have their own kingdoms.. but I can feel that there's something missing there.  I  just wish that this story is going to a direction that I could follow...but I stumble and fall  all along the way. I admit that first half of the book got my attention but the rest ..just  came flat. I am waiting for something more but it was not even there. 


                    
                             My Rating:

                                  3  Heart broken Stars










No comments:

Post a Comment