Monday, May 20, 2013

My Review: Deeper We Fall by Chelsea M. Cameron

.    

From Goodreads:

Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.

Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.

Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face. 

Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves "To Kill a Mockingbird" as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen. 

The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache.

                                 My Review:

    This was given to me by the author for an honest review. What can I say? I expected this book to be good... but I was wrong. It was really , really good!  It was wonderfully written! And I love the shifting of Point of views... It was flowing so smoothly!
      Two years ago Lottie , along with her best friend  Lexie,  the brothers Zack and Zan were involved in a car accident that totally changed  their lives. It was hard to move on , specially for Lottie who hovers the guilt  when her best friend never recovered from brain injury. She vindictively blame the Parker brothers, Zack and Zan who's the driver that time.
      Now in her freshman year, she and her twin brother  thought of having a new start. So she thinks! Not until,  fate or what she calls Karma that has been messing with her... she finds herself at the  same college..and worse, same dorm with the brothers of doom as she called them. Life indeed is a bitch. 
       Zack and Zan . Both equally gorgeous . Zan is the quiet, "thinker" one and Zack is clearly the jerk. But he can easily get away with it and Zan tends to take in everything.  He's the one who carried the heavy load of guilt . He's been in therapy ... and he's been trying to cope up. I feel so sorry for Zan..imagine , he's been "crushing" over Lottie for years and then when he had finally had the courage to talk with her.. that accident happen?  Now, Lottie been blaming him and totally hate him and his brother!  It made me say, how could this thing happen?! Why them?! Argh! This so frustrating. But wait? Why am I beginning to love it? Something is wrong with me?! Yes. Chelsea M. Cameron definitely got me hooked !
      I love the way Ms. Cameron made their paths crossed ... like no matter how you tend to avoid each other , you always end up in front of each other. And she introduced me to Rumi quotes that I'm beginning to like! 


   
          
    
    This was especially true for both Zan and Lottie.  I see hatred and loathe in Lottie's eyes but I see the complete opposite with Zan. He truly crazy adores Lottie yet he knows he got no chance ever! But he wanted her so much! 

      “Maybe this was another part of my punishment from God or “whoever". Putting this beautiful unattainable thing in front of me and then pulling it away.”

       Zan took every chance to be near her which at first earned him backlashes and all the effs in the world! Well, Lottie is definitely someone who can't control  her uhmmm... Strong verbal ability. She babbles .. a lot! She is feisty! And she HATES Zan! 

      I think it's a little  of both Zan's persistence and fate that they ended up really talking in a civilized manner... And maybe Lottie could not really help but noticed that Zan is the lesser evil? She even created a Zan "not talking about " box at the back of her head! And she even made a list!

1. not talking about the rain incident
2. not talking about the towel incident
3. not talking about the you-showing-up-outside-my-door incident
4. not talking about the hand incident
 Would she even  include 5. the not talking about the kiss incident too? Which clearly  both of them allowed to happen?!  And for me one of the "swooniest" part of the book?! Just imagine, every time Lottie babbles she gets a kiss from Zan to make her stop?! And Lottie TALKS a lot!!!! I was grinning like a Cheshire cat the whole time!

  

      As she get to know Zan, she is no doubt seeing a different Zan.. He's gentle.. He's deep ..He loves to read! (and quotes Rumi!) ... He recites poem even in his sleep?! ....and he's someone she wants! ( And I want Zan too!!! Where on earth can I find a guy like that?!! ) Oh how Lottie wished  he's a different person! That could make everything uncomplicated. She feels that if she choose Zan  she is betraying her best friend Lexie. But Zan makes her feel special and all the things she have never felt before.Poor  Lottie, she is torned between her best friend and the guy she is supposed to despise but still wants!


    But this confusion did not even stop Lottie from seeing Zan... even secretly seeing and hanging out with him! Plus a series of circumstances often lead them ...together. And boy ! I can say those are swoony moments! I love it when they are both lying down and just listening to  Ella Fitzgerald's song, "Someone to watch over me" , I was blown! It was one magical moment for me! And with them holding hands? It was so romantic! ( dreamy sigh! ) There are all the elements to fall in love right? But there's always a reason to hold back?! The push and pull is sooooo frustrating!! Why can they just forget about everything and fall in love?!!!  (Makes me wanna pull my hairs out!!!) But why am I still reading???? Because I love it!!

    When Zan finally told Lottie what he's been hiding for a long time? That was... super WOW for me! I never thought about it before . But then Zan is really capable of doing that. I was surprised how  Lottie took and accepted it. It was really admirable. And I heaved a long sigh of relief!
  
     I love the way things and situations are resolved as the story moves on. There is just the right amount of emotion and never overwhelming. Deeper we fall taught me not only about finding love when you least expected it,  but also not to dwell in our past regrets but to move forward by learning to forgive yourself and to  accept that there are things we can't control.

     If you are looking something swoony with just the right amount of drama and lot of wonderful lessons in love and life ... this book is definitely for you!
      

                                  My verdict:

                           4 wonderful stars! 




      

1 comment:

  1. love the names Zan and Lottie:) Nice review and rumi quote.

    ReplyDelete