Sunday, May 26, 2013

My Review: Destiny Gift by Juliana Haygert

   
 From Goodreads:

Thirty years in the future, a sinister New York City exists in permanent darkness. 

A student at the secured NYU, nineteen-year-old Nadine has visions of Victor Gianni, an imaginary guy she has real feelings for. Afraid of being truly insane, she explains the visions away as simple daydreams, but she can no longer deny them when she bumps into Victor in real life. But this Victor doesn’t know her, and turns her away. After the encounter, Nadine’s visions change to those of eerie fates, gods she’s never heard of, demons with sharp claws they are not too timid to use … and instructions.

To discover if she’s losing her mind, Nadine follows the vague directions—with the real, rude and reluctant Victor—leading to a man who knows it all: Nadine can restore an ancient creed by unveiling the clues on her visions, and bring sunlight and peace to the world again. But that’s only if the demons and the other evil forces behind the darkness don’t stop her first.


                           My Review:


      This copy was provided to me by the author for an honest review. Again, I feel so lucky to be reading  such a very good book!
   
      I'm not really big on dystopian story, maybe because I don't get to read a lot about them. This book is definitely on that genre. A little bit curious, I took a peep.  The setting is in New York after 30 years when our sky is no longer blue... rivers and lakes are polluted... streets are no longer safe. Our world is close to chaos. And there's our heroine Nadine. 
   
    Nadine is a student at a secured NYU campus. As I read , I think it's the only place secured. I saw how horrible things outside the school and I can always feel Nadine's anxiety and fear when outside. So, what's special about Nadine? She has this visions that comes like an episode.. she just spaces out anytime , anywhere which she finds  disturbing  ... but it's also something she looks forward to! It's in her visions that she got to be with the gorgeous  Victor Gianni, her Prince Charming.. the man of her dreams!

    “All my visions were about the same perfect and gorgeous guy. My dream Prince Charming was called Victor Gianni. He was twenty-three, tall and athletic, with light brown hair streaked by some natural honey-colored highlights, brilliant sea-green eyes, and his smile always made my heart somersault”
   “Yes, Victor lived only in my visions, but I was in love with him.”


      
    Her visions about him is so vivid...that she almost chose it more than the reality she's currently living. In her visions, everything is perfect.. the sky is still blue ..our world ..not destroyed. Not until her visions begun to shift.. when suddenly she witnessed  gods and goddesses  in heated argument ...which means more chaos in our world!  And I'm thinking.. This is bizarre!  First, there's Prince Charming ...now gods and goddesses?!  What the ...?!  But wait! What's this have to do with Nadine? Again.. here comes my curiosity...

      More bizarre things happen after . When Nadine was attacked by huge , ugly bats that almost got her killed! And then... Of course someone has to rescue her! No it's not Victor!  A little disappointed ...but .. Here's comes Micah!  Gorgeous. Exotic. 

     “His deep, dark eyes bored into mine, and my breath caught. Unkempt jet-black hair framed the rough edges of his fair face, and broad shoulders were bracketed by his leather biker jacket. Despite looking frightening, he was gorgeous.”

       What the hell?! Two gorgeous guys. One in her visions and one in front of her?!  Damn lucky girl! And to add to her luck... a few days after she actually saw and met the real , in the flesh Victor!!!  Wow and wow! Thought she was the luckiest girl alive? Think again. When she met the actual Victor , he is nothing like her "dream Victor"! He is cold , aloof ..the "don't dare talk to me" type! Oh. No!! I can almost sense Nadine's  little bubble of dreams shattered! Poor  Nadine... I told you..not to expect too much! See?!


     But then she discovered  that these two gorgeous men have something in common. They both are experiencing this excruciating pain and nothing can soothe... except for her TOUCH! Yeah. Right. So, no matter how Victor seems to be rude to her. He still needs Nadine. So, suck it up, Victor!  I can see myself smirk! Haha. 

     As her vision became more frequent .. and alarming coming true.. more dangers are coming for them! Demons ,killer bats  and some evil angry gods  goddesses are after them! Together they must act to save themselves!  Their destination : the Clarity castle. And their only guide? Nadine's visions! Can they trust her vision? Will it lead them to the answers they are looking for? 

 I love how the author describes the action sequences.. the dangerous chase! It was really really good! It was like watching an action thriller film! I can even feel my heart beating fast! 

   And more revelations are coming.. about the truth behind these gods and goddesses! It was so fast like I have information overload! There are  mixes of flashbacks and visions!  My oh my! I have to pause to catch my breath! Poor Nadine! She is caught between this big war of the gods mess! How can she ever have the chance to stand against them  and even against her growing feelings for both Victor and Micah?!  
The ending left me a little ..no.. not a little but more bewildered! Like, in the middle of something really important..cut short! I'm like, what was that?!!  I need to know what happens now! Why does it had to end like this? When I have more questions unanswered?!  I can't wait for more adrenaline pumping adventure  which makes  me  scream : Need the next book ASAP! 

                           My verdict:
4 heart stopping  adventure packed magical stars! 



No comments:

Post a Comment