Monday, October 21, 2013

My Review: Sleepless ( Bird of Stone # 1 ) by Tracey Ward

Sleepless (Bird of Stone, #1)
From Goodreads:
My name is Alex Mills and I have a superpower.

Don't be jealous, it sucks. I can't control it. My mind is a mutinous SOB that takes over when I go to sleep. I'm just a girl trying to get some shut eye while it decides to throw a rager that can land me just about anywhere in the world.

The base of the Eiffel Tower.
The shore on the coast of Ireland.
The third baseline at Wrigley Field.

Sounds exciting and fun right? Wrong. My not so superpower is unpredictable, uncontrollable and annoying as hell.
It's also how I met Nick.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Nick is mine.

Nick is extraordinary as well. He can't feel fear. Never has, never will. It's worked out for him enlisting in the military, but where it's not helpful is with his social skills. Nick is cold, distant and apathetic.

He's also my hero. And if he's to be believed, I'm his.

I first met him when he died and that wasn't even the weirdest moment of our relationship. Neither is this moment here and now, trapped together in an island prison on the Behring Sea. It's a long, strange story between his death and this prison. One full of sheep, docks, Jabberwocks and a very special stone. I could tell it to you if you'd like to hear it. I've got time...

                              My Thoughts:

     This got to be the longest time I finished a single book. Normally, it's 3 to 4 days tops, but this one? I think I've been reading  for a week?! Either it's a long book? ( 1,100 plus pages) Or the story is so dragging? ( Me losing interest every now and then?! ) ....but my answer is NEITHER! Yes, it's quite a big book...but still I can handle! And it's not dragging or boring at all!  So what could be the reason? I got this annoying , bugging Sore throat with its evil twin, the FLU! And it's taking all my energy , even just to open my eyes?! Imagine, the hassle and irritation it gave me not to read that much?!
 
    I find myself smiling as I look at the title, "SLEEPLESS". I should be sleepless when I'll read this? But the got the opposite instead?! I fell asleep for many times I could not even count?! So, the title? really? how fitting?! hehe. And I blamed all of these to sore throat and flu! Ugh.

   SO, back to my review. I don't wanna bore you or do I need to explain more?! Probably not. ( because you are so raising your eyebrows or rolling your eyes right now?! Haha. )

   First, I wanna say I absolutely loved the cover. Just look at it! It gave me the "swoon-bumps". There is a word like that?! Yeah, in Billie's dictionary ,there is! Hehe. I just love looking at it, a boy and a girl in a meadow kissing? Awww. my swoon-bumps begin to tingle! You might tell me : A normal  girl and a boy kissing on a meadow is so cliche?!  Or you'll remind me about Bella &  Edward ( Twilight) on that meadow scene?! Hmmm... not you got me thinking! But.... surprise , surprise! It's not the same! Although, this ones a paranormal story.. Alex ( that's her) and Nick ( that's him! ) are so unlike Bella and Edward. Thank goodness!  ( I'm not against Twilight, people... I watch and read the whole series! )

   Alex and Nick were  never "normal". Alex "Slips" which means she  teleports to each dream she had. Yes, she can dream going to a place and found herself waking up in the actual place! First, I would  say that  teleportation is a really cool ability to have. Just imagine, you can go to any place you like without all the fuss of buying a plane ticket or applying for a visa? Sometimes, I even daydream of having that" power"! But for Alex? She totally hates it. Or more so afraid she can't control her slippings. Who wouldn't be afraid if she sometimes would end up in one of the dangerous places?! In a unfamiliar woods or who knows mafia -gangsta infested warehouses?! How can she defend herself? She obviously can't . So, she runs and pray that she wakes up in her own bed. I could just imagine how Alex feels.. terrified ...and never normal.


      Even her parents can't accept her. The only consolation was her sister, Cara was always there for her. So, most of the nights she slips until she gets into a recurring scenario... in a lake ..and a guy named Nick. You think that he's just a figment of her imagination/dream? He is not and definitely as real as she is! The problem was , Nick does not know that. he thought , Alex is just ... A dream. .his dream girl. It made me think , what's the special connection between these two? 

     Oh, Nick was special too, and he has a secret. He can't feel fear. And that's far from normal...but comes in handy since he joined the Pararescue Jumpers (PJ) . I have never heard about this, till now. And to jump out there into the dangers below? To save? It is a noble job. Nick did it so well and survived it all during his training. I love how the author describe even the  most complex technicalities . It makes me appreciate the PJ's , and it is not a piece of cake to be one! One of my favorites was the H.A.L.O.  ( High Altitude Low Opening) jump. It was really badass!  


    When these two seems to meet in their every dream, something magical happened. They slowly felt something. What started out as banter... Ended up to be something. Yes, they eagerly look forward to their little rendezvous.  And Nick who seems to be that " unfeeling".. do something ..romantic?! By changing  their dreamscape? Think about sailing in a boat beneath those stars?! Changing the colors of waters? It's magical... and really swoony! I love how  Ms. Tracey Ward wrote it...it was so vivid, I could easily picture it out! And one of the best things I look in a book. It was really dream-like and  I would loved to be inside that scene! 

         So, you would think this was some kind of a love story? And what follows next was this phrase: ...and they lived happily ever after? Think again. Falling in love inside your dream seems complicated? But it will get more bizzare if Alex did return back to her reality carrying  Nick with her ? Imagine, the shock and confusion Nick would feel waking up to  different place and besides the very real Alex?! As controlled as himself , Nick would definitely freak out! 

         And their adventure begins! As far as they want to keep their special abilities hidden... they can't control what happens next. Somebody knows... And somebody wants to use that ability! 

       I admit the 1st  50% of the book is quite slow...the next half and up to the end? Way different. It was heart pounding. And yes! This is where the action begins! And there's the Jabberwocky! Yes ! A dragon!! This is  it! I screamed and even kicked something ! It was an action adventure rolled into one! Again, I want to say, Wow! Ms. Tracey Ward! That's really really good! *claps hands!*

      The ending made me groan...yes! Groan loudly! What?!!! Seriously? A cliffhanger like that?! Arrrrrgh!!!! Why is it when I'm beginning to enjoy a scene ( or a page?!) ...that it has to end abruptly?!! And I'm at the best part ?! What happens next????!!! I NEED TO KNOW!! 

                  I'm giving this book:
           4 swoon-tastic adventure stars!

1 comment: