Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Review : Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) 
From Goodreads:

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with freaky scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

                     My Thoughts:

      I'm so glad I choose this book for my reading challenge. This book has been sitting on my shelf for awhile.  And when I read it, I was like, why did I wait this long ?! Oh, right... I was distracted  ( as always! ) by sooo many books coming out?!  This book  was really great !  I found myself instantly into the story.

      Normally, I  try to stay away from highly emotional reads.. But this one? I literally can't tore my eyes from it. It gets better and better each page as emotion keeps  coming! 

       Noah and Echo are two opposite side of the coin. Noah Hutchkins known as a girl using , stoner boy with trouble tailing him like a shadow and Echo Emerson is  a good , obedient daughter, an achiever for excellence. But looks could be deceiving. Opposite side of the coin but still sharing the same coin. What makes them the same? They both want to be normal. Yes. Normal.

     Noah wants  nothing but to have a normal family. After a house fire took the lives of his parents, leaving him to a number of foster parents  and got separated with his brothers...everything is never normal and everyday is a battle and struggle. And where can he get his temporary refuge? From his friends, Isaiah and Beth  who happens to use  drugs to temporary forget their  crappy situations. But drugs doesn't solve anything. When it leaves his system... all he can think is his brothers...and he wants them back. But how?

    Echo used to be an  "it girl" , with a popular friends and  of course.. a popular boyfriend.  Everything went  downstream  after a night  which she can't remember but left her literally scarred . Everyone at school seems to avoid her and worst talks behind her back. Rumors keep following her... what are the scars for? Did she cut herself? Attempted suicide? Or something else? An answer that she wants to know and maybe will make her feel normal again. By then all she has to was to keep those scars hidden under her jacket .. and wished she could hid herself as well?

    I feel very sorry for both of them. It's hard not to fit in...  not be accepted.  I can't even imagine going through with what either both of them are experiencing. Reading this book opened my eyes and squeezed my every emotions.  I saw the pains both Echo and Noah  has  to face to  get their answers. Echo : the Truth. Noah : his brothers.

    When these two are brought together. Sharing the same counselor ( or Shrink?! ), Ms Collins, both should work together.. If Noah wanted to be with his brothers, he should at first clean his act a.k.a get good grades. So, enter Echo, the perfect tutor. As for Echo? She needs money to rebuild his late brother, Aires car ( which means so much to her) ...so, tutoring is a good idea. But tutoring Noah? Uhm, let me rephrase it, tutoring the quintessential hot bad boy Noah?! Can be irritating and a serious distraction! Nobody can ignore his charms not even Echo.


“Guys like Noah Hutchins ticked me off. He used girls, used drugs and had made me feel like crap this morning. Not that I should be surprised. I’d had a couple of classes with him last semester. He’d stride into the room like he owned the earth and smirk when girls fell all over themselves in his presence. “What a jerk.”

     Clearly, smart girls like herself should avoid Noah at all cost. But  then , why does she keep on checking him out? And why does his closeness made her feel things she never felt before?  

“My insides had melted when Noah produced his wicked grin and gazed at me like I was naked. Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls.”

   Mutant Pterodactyls?! I was smiling. I never heard  or seen that term before?! Very clever, Ms. McGarry! Gonna add that to my vocabulary for sure! Haha.

   Noah and Echo work closely together... to their one goal... to find their answers.. to get their hands into Ms. Collins' files.  I just  love how this book was written. Ms. Katie McGarry has a unique way to make you totally engrossed and  like Echo and Noah, I wanna know, what's on those files ...almost desperately! I can't put down this book! Many times I held even held my breath, what if what's inside will destroy or break  them? Specially, Echo? Oh, I get carried away! See?! Ms. Katie McGarry...you are soooo good!!! 

   As they plan for it, the more they get to know each other... and the more they beginning to feel something...and it scares them... mostly Noah, who thinks that love only belongs to what he has for his brothers. He felt something for Echo. He knows it was love. And he wants to say it.. or at least  in his thoughts. It was difficult...to say it loud.   

“This girl owned my soul and stole my heart. She’d opened herself to me, giving me love and never asked for anything in return. I deepened our kiss, the words I love you stuck in my mind.”

   Ahhhhhh.... this is killing me!!!  What's going on between them was simple. It was L-O-V-E! But around them? And totally affecting them? Way complicated.  And when the truth was finally out? It was pure Drama and overflowing with emotions. I have to hold tight and get a grip before I see myself drown.

   I love how  they both faced it. I was surprised, both handled it maturely.  Knowing the truth ...forgiveness... and acceptance... it was beautiful!  This should be the part that  I should cry? I was forewarned before I started to read this book: I need a lot of Kleenex. But I didn't. Nope. No physical tears. But my inside.. the most important part of me  ...my heart, cried. I think no Kleenex could ever wipe .  And I don't mind... because my heart cried happy tears...

   Love, loved this book! Thank you  Ms. Katie McGarry!



I'm giving this book:

4 wonderful emotion overload kind of stars!


     

   
  

    




No comments:

Post a Comment