Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby
From Goodreads:
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?


                              My Thoughts:

 This was my first Sarah Dessen book . What can I say? It is quite a big book with 1,200 plus pages on my book reader! So, I'm going to need more time reading this one. I checked Goodreads and saw that it has quite a high rating. Taking that in consideration, I finally start flipping its pages.

   The first part of the book quite intrigue me. There is this girl named Remy who doesn't believe in love. I was taken aback.  I asked myself, should I go on reading?  Where I go swooning even  listening to one of the love songs... Remy  cringe at the thought of it. Love songs  are nothing but empty words of a promise of forever... which do not exist in her world. I can't truly blame Remy for thinking that way. You see, her mother is marrying her 5th husband! Unbelievable huh?!  So, for Remy, nothing last forever.  Everything ends up one way or another. Everything including love has an expiration. She doesn't want to go through with all this mess , so she kinda sets a time frame in her relationships ..then she ends it.
 
     Then she met Dexter who is clearly out of her league. Dexter is lanky, clumsy, disorganized and a musician ! Which is a no-no for Remy!  Their first encounter even annoyed Remy when she heard these words from Dexter's lips..

“I just thought to myself, all of a sudden, that we had something in common. A natural chemistry, if you will. And I had a feeling that something big was going to happen. To both of us. That we were, in fact, meant to be together.”

    What kind of pick up line was that??? It's the weirdest thing I've heard. Or maybe, Dexter is uhmm.. Eccentric?! Oh well, but aren't musicians have a little weirdness in them?  Of course, she totally ignored him!
Remy told him NO. NO, she is not interested. But Dexter is soooo persistent. And this boy? Just don't  give up. And he is always there within Remy's proximity! Like a cute lost puppy? Who could resist?!

   No matter how many times Remy  bitch around ( which seems to be her expertise! ) , Dexter  was still there! Wow, Dexter ! That bad huh? Who could blame him? Remy is pretty , smart and a challenge? So, to end Dexter's relentless pursue, Remy agreed to be his "sort of girlfriend". Well, at least for the summer then she can dump him until the college starts.  Gosh! What a plan, Remy huh? Dexter = Summer fling?  *shakes my head in disbelief!

    I don't really get Remy. Is this her game or what? Dexter as her sort-of-boyfriend? Like temporary? I think it's cruel.  And Dexter? Why is he even  doing this relationship thing? Remy can't even say she loves him?! Oh. This is just  frustrating!

    I am almost at the middle of the book.. but I still have a lot of huh?- moments. Certain conversation also bothered me. When they are talking all together.. Remy, Dexter, and Dexter's band mates..I get lost? Like, who's talking ? To whom? Or was I just distracted because those boys are sooo immature! Yes! How can you ever forget to pay your electric bill on time? And the finger pointing who's assigned to pay? Arrgh! So irresponsible!  I can't tolerate this! And WTH is a potato song?!!! Ugh.

   The ending was just so-so. I tried hard to get into the story. Sure, there's Remy's realization at the end which is good. That Dexter is probably the loose end that she needs. That Dexter could probably the one worth taking the risk. Just maybe, he could be the one.

"No relationship is perfect ever. There is always some ways you have to bend, to compromise , to give something up in order to gain greater... The love we had for each other is bigger than this small differences. And that's the key. It's like a big pie chart, and the love in the relationship  has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot. " 

    I heard good things about Ms. Dessen's books.Yes, this one has a sweet story and Remy and Dexter are  both interesting characters. But I never felt it.  It's just unfortunate that this one's not for me. Maybe  if I have picked the right one, then maybe this could turn out differently.

 
               I'm giving this book :
             **  2 Dexter-Remy stars**

No comments:

Post a Comment