Friday, August 9, 2013

My Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)      
From Goodreads:

     Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

                                 My Thoughts:

    Only  few books can actually keep and hold my attention for a little longer... before I get distracted with other things (Like... I know, I know.. I'm checking Goodreads, twitter or facebook! Guilty! Hah! )... and I could say , this book kept me in place!  Just reading  few pages, I know I'm already  hooked.

    The opening chapter intrigue me as I saw Olivia's hesitation to go near Caleb. Was she scared?  But why? What  happened  in their  past that deserves Caleb's hatred? So I wait as Olivia took her step towards Caleb... and ... Bam! Caleb did not recognize her at all! Amnesia. Now, this becomes really, really interesting!

   I love how Ms. Tarryn Fisher wrote the alternate Flashbacks & Present time chapters! It was seamless and free flowing. The flashbacks really showed how everything started. How the campus heartthrob, basketball star player Caleb chased after the plain, bookish...and once- prude-dish  Olivia. I have the fairy tale - like feeling as I read it. Caleb is the Prince Charming waiting to happen... IF ...ONLY, IF Olivia let him swept her off her feet! *Dreamy Sigh  Unlike any other girl who would do anything to get Caleb's attention, our Olivia here ... did the opposite! She tried to stay away!  Caleb is gorgeous , rich , spoiled jock...a walking danger sign that any smart, goody shoes- girl like her should avoid at all cost! But can she really avoid  him?? When Caleb has been stalking her like a lost puppy? Admit it Olivia, you are definitely checking him out! Hmmmm...
   Clearly , there something about her that Caleb found... really fascinating? I'm thinking, maybe she looks unattainable.. and Caleb is up for a challenge? But then, Caleb really, really likes her! And boy, the way he goes after her... like she's the only girl for him! I love the cocky Caleb chasing after the uptight Olivia. Those were the swoony - awkward moments! And when Caleb intentionally missed the important basketball shot for a date with Olivia ( or was it a dare?? ).... it was reckless incredible! I was all giggly and swooning at the same time! Everybody (well except for her best friend Cammie) hated Olivia after that!  She was the girl Caleb missed his shot for!  Olivia became the talk of the school!

     So, you thought that  impressed Olivia? Not at all. But she made a deal with Caleb. A date. Hesitant at first, but as she got to know a little about Caleb... her mind says Stay away but her body says she was insanely attracted to this boy! Caleb is not the stereotype hotshot that she taught. He is the sweetest !And he reads and loves "Great expectations" ?!  I'd definitely say, he's a keeper!( And more than meets the eye?! )  I want to keep Caleb to myself!!!!  Mine.. mine!
    Caleb is perfect! Despite the attraction and connection between them... Olivia let him slip off her fingers?! Yes. She turned down Caleb. She lied that she doesn't want him. I was exasperated! This, I think it was the first time Olivia lied.  And when Caleb seems to be moving on..with a new girlfriend, evil lurked into Olivia's heart! She got to have Caleb at all cost!  I was like, what the hell, Olivia?! Really?! Where did the sweet Olivia go? Who are you????  And that ,  is how the misery begun...

    I was emotionally wrecked the following chapters. It was a roller coaster ride of heavy emotions. I don't know how I'll feel over Olivia.. I hate her and love her all the same time. I hate her schemes but then I can't help but to have all my sympathy...or  more like  empathy with her. What would I do if I were in her shoes? I don't think I can handle it. Caleb is her weakness. Caleb is her strength. Caleb is her everything. So why can't she have Caleb? Oh... my heart cried. And Caleb? What have you done?  I was  so ...so...I could not even put this into words...


     The rest of the book way up to the Epilogue , I was holding my pillow so tight. My chest hurts. Why oh why life is so unfair! How could they always end up making the wrong choices? And like Olivia, I don't think I could ever moved on...

“It is the last real kiss of my life. I forever cling to that kiss. It was goodbye and I’m sorry and I love you so much. When it is done, he presses his forehead to my own one last time and then he is gone.

I am broken.”

    This has to be the most heart breaking way to end a book.  *sobs ...and more sobs...I hate to see my heart shattered into tiny pieces... *and the sobbing continues.. I love , love this book! *sobs

                       My Playlist:

"One Last Cry " by Brian McKnight http://youtu.be/sz-NhGanOAE

 
              I'm giving this book :
    4 heart breaking, tear inducing stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment