Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
Goodreads:
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.

                My Review:

     I can't get over by the cliffhanger Catching Fire had left me . Knowing that I have to wait for next year to find out what happens to my favorite heroine Katniss Everdeen when she was pulled out from the arena...was unbearable! So, what's the immediate solution? Yes! Read the book...quick!

      Oh the book really start off where the movie ended!  There I saw the disoriented, slightly confused Katniss. But where is Peeta? Oh no.. Oh no! He was taken hostage by the despicable President Snow!
Of course this affected Katniss ! Not to mention the moment she shot that electric charged arrow and destroyed the Dome, District 12 was burned down into ashes! The cruelty of Capitol and  a clear message from President Snow "never mess with me!" 

    I love this book!  My only regret was I haven't read books 1 and 2!  Just seen the movie but all great! And I'm sure the books were more or equally as good. ( Of course, I'll read those ...one of these days along with my sky-high tbr's! <------ not kidding! Haha.)  

   Oh, I got a confession to make ( should I or should I not?! ) ..." I'm not really a big fan of post-apocalyptic / dystopian books ( that explains how come I did not read books 1 and 2!) ...okay, okay, now don't give me that look! *hands raise in surrender!* But after watching the previous two and reading this one? I may have a change of heart... if the other books of same genre would be as good as Ms. Suzanne Collins' books! Well, just like Katniss Everdeen , I got my conditions too! Haha.

     Rescued by District 13, Katniss was offered to be their Mockingjay. Such a heavy responsibility but does she have a choice? When most of the districts  looks at her as their hope to end up President's Snow's cruel regime . And how could she rescue Peeta , alone?   So she accepts the challenge . Be their Mockingjay.

“The question is, what are you going to do?”

“I take a deep breath. My arms rise slightly — as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me — then come to rest at my sides.
“I’m going to be the Mockingjay.”

   So the action begins!   I. LOVE. EVERY. SCENE. IN. THIS. BOOK! There was never a dull moment! Every page  is worth devouring. I can sense all the emotions shooting out  like Katniss arrows from the page right through me! Bull's eye!!

“I’ll make the announcement then. Is there anything left on your list, Katniss?”
My paper’s crumpled into a ball in my right fist. I flatten the sheet against the table and read the rickety letters. “Just one more thing. I kill Snow.”

    Ahhhhh... So much conviction...rage? A promise of revenge ?...and so much more! As Katniss visits each district  the more she witnessed how bad their situation  People are starting a revolution and .. people get injured , died for what? For a piece of freedom  that they all long for  so many years? Until Katniss Everdeen. There is HOPE. I kinda pity Katniss for having no choice ...but I also admire her for being fearless to the point of facing danger itself? I wouldn't be surprised, because Katniss as stubborn as she was  ( which is sometimes a good thing? )  will always do what she thinks is right though sometimes reckless!  Well, that's Katniss Everdeen, the Girl on fire!

    The coming chapters are full of surprises and  gnashing of teeth...( and a little bit of swearing?! ..like the WTF?! Peetaaaaaa! no..no...No!!!!)  I found myself between ...uhmm, well, WTF ?! and WTH?! moments! Yes! It was so NOT me? Well, at least when someone is around?!  And I keep the "good girl" image as hard as it gets... all the time..haha.

     This book will keep you wondering what happens next. Yes, I got my suspicions that this or that might happen but in the end .. it was even better...and I hate to say this, more brutal that what I imagined it to be! Ms. Suzanne Collins, you are a genius! Oh, and I forgot about the voice activated bow??? Way ..way cool!!I can't wait to see that in movie next year!

    The ending  was great. The turn of events ... outstanding. I am so tempted to spill the juicy beans but NO SPOILERS , I said to myself. Well, a little hint won't hurt, eh? So here it goes: Imagine the Capitol transformed into a Hunger Games arena: more bloody, gruesome , deadlier ...and more sacrifices and choices has to be made.  That was  a "call" Katniss Everdeen has to make!

    Loved. Loved. Loved this book!  If you already read this book, you know what I mean and you will agree! If you haven't? Go..go..go! Grab this book before it's too late!


            I'm giving this book:
       5 Adrenaline pumping & On fire stars!


2 comments:

  1. Loved the book and loved your review! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matteo : Thank you! Can't wait for the movie , it would be EPIC GREATNESS for sure! :)

      Delete