Saturday, April 5, 2014

My Review: Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
From Goodreads:
For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.
                            

                            My Thoughts:

    This book...this book ..this book asgdjdjfkcncudndmyebdavj!!! Yes! I was lost for words! It's been a long time since I have a major book hangover over a book, a fantasy YA book to be exact. 

     I was more than grateful when my friends Rachmi and Melly invited me into buddy reading this book. I tell you, this one's a gem! It was un-put-downable ... once I started flipping the pages, I felt the thrill, magic and adventure that were all compressed into written words. It was amazing how the author put everything together! It was everything I wanted and more. 

     I love the characters! Specially the heroine , Cecile ! I admired how she was tranformed from a scared sixteen year old farm girl into a strong willed brave princess of Trollus. Well, who won't be scared when you are kidnapped, sold and forced to be married to a Troll Prince?! From the stories I read, Trolls are described as hideous , evil , ugly looking creatures.. well, at least some of them. But Prince Tristan?! Hideous? Nope. Evil? Hmmm, he got issues but definitely not evil! Ugly looking creature? Noooo way! He is what our ( or mine for this matter!) prince charming should look like! Like this, perhaps?!  *swoon*



....and he "disliked" Cecile  "The human?!" ( so, it seems?!) But why marry her? Because of this prophecy :

“Eyes of blue and hair of fire
Are the keys to your desire.
Angel’s voice and will of steel
Shall force the dark witch to kneel.
Death to bind and bind to break
Sun and moon for all our sake.
Prince of night, daughter of day,
Bound as one the witch they’ll slay.
Same hour they their first breath drew,
On her last, the witch will rue.
Join the two named in this verse
And see the end of the curse.”


      So there. The fate of Trollus . The lifting of the witch curse depends on their bonding. Maybe. If it was true. But what if it does not? Cecile must still stay as Tristan's wife and a prisoner. Escape would be futile unless you want to end up inside the hideous monster slaug's  stomach?!

     Poor Cecile must have to endure being locked up or being constantly on the watch-list ?! Because the bonding makes her and Tristan one. That makes her Tristan's weak spot...and makes her the target of Tristan's enemies?

      Left no choice but to stay than flee. Cecile begun to get to know Trollus and gain few friends and possible allies...and enemies?  Soon she learned the history and the complicated Politics around the full blooded and half blood Trolls. She also witnessed the cruelty , oppression  and the unfair set of laws around Trollus...which lead to a brewing rebellion against the King! 

      I love how the author created Trollus... Specially the Tree! It was magical and its stability powered by Tristan's magic was the only thing that holds Trollus from getting crushed!  I even tried to imagine it looking somewhat like as amazing as this!

     I know, it's a great  responsibility for our Prince!  To protect both  his people... his kind, and same time earn the trust of the slaves to help him pursue his carefully laid plans... Until Cecile.. And that's when everything gets interesting!

     Being the hopeless romantic that Me ... I was giddy with anticipation with Tristan-Cecile moments! Yes, they fought..a lot of snarks, which I find rather entertaining! But I know deep beneath ...something ..something is blossoming!  *swoon*  It's only a matter of time before these two finally spill it out! And when that moment came? In the midst of danger & desperation , I was teary eyed!  I would WANT them to be together! But not everything is as simple as that. Cecile must choose and Tristan was left with no choice.  Arrrgh! 

“To hell with duty. I came for you – I came because I was afraid you weren’t going to make it. I came because I couldn’t stand the thought of something happening to you.”

   The ending nearly killed me! I was not even breathing?! My heart was pounding so hard and all I can mutter was ..Nooooooooooooo!!!  That letter from Tristan, broke my heart into pieces and left me with a book hangover I am afraid I can't recover! 

“And if I had the choice, I never would. I love you, Cécile. I will love you until the day I take my last breath and that is the truth.” He kissed me hard. “Forgive me.”

    Overall, I fell in love with this book !  I am so desperate to read the sequel! But to wait till Spring 2015? Ms.Danielle Jensen, I beg you ....make the days move quickly! 

 I am giving this book :

5 love it, love it, Ahhhmazing stars!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment