Saturday, December 6, 2014

Book Review : The Young Elites by Marie Lu

The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)
From Goodreads:

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.

Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.

                   My Thoughts:



     Marie Lu ! Marie Lu! Marie Lu!! Anything Marie Lu, I loooove!!! 

     I was beyond happy and excited when I finally had this book in my hands. Not solely because I adoooooored the author BUT a SIGNED copy?! Yes! By freaking , freaking amazing M. Lu!!! Could it be possible to fangirl this much for an author? Yeeshhhhh! 


      I fell in love with Ms. Lu's writing when I discovered and read her previous series, The Legend trilogy. It was ..I'm-Lost-For-Words kind of Wow! I'm a little bummed when I finished the last book because... well, what's life after Day and June? I admit, I got a little clingy with the characters. Yup, Ms. Lu is THAT good! So, when she announced that she's going to start with a new series, I marked my calendar and count the days till release. Until.. Now! It's here!!

      I'm not afraid to "raise the bar" with this series. And as always, I was floored! The setting , the characters, the story..everything was perfect. The way the author wrote it, wow! It's picturesque. From the colorful , elaborated  intricate clothing ( the masquerade!! ) , up to the well described places , even the creatures ! Breathtaking!! All that  and more inside this book!




I loved all the characters! Even the most hate-worthy Terren, I  truly, truly love to hate!  Adelina , Oh I love her , she's one complex character. She was  torn between the goodness  she believed she has and that very tempting , powerful darkness within her. I felt her struggles and she fought hard , but there's always two opposing forces , good ...evil...and sometimes the "in between". Adelina had to make a choice... to fight  or to flee... to trust or to betray? A choice that  will change everything.

What's Adelina's next move? That I don't know! Everything was unpredictable and the twists and turns every now and then? Wow! I never  saw that one coming!  Love, loved it!


....And then , what's a great heroine without her equally awesome hero? Enter Enzo!! A banished Prince.


Out to take back his crown, he gathered and trained all these promising malfettos  to enhance and control their powers. Together, they are stronger.. together..if they stick to their plan. Can they trust Adelina?  Can she trust them? Can she trust herself?

I love the Enzo - Adelina  moments! I just wish there are more of "them" , it was like, that's it?! I want more! There is definitely something going on between them and it's making me Squeee! That scene on the rain? I wish I can elaborate but it would scream SPOILERS!! ...Again, it's SQUEEEE!!!  It was one of my favorites, of course!






Overall, I love how the story goes even though that ending nearly killed me! Yes, I'm going to warn you, it's a CLIFFHANGER !!! I was .... *sobs*  It can't be!! But , hey! let's hope for the best to come! Book two , I need you, desperately!




                I'm giving this book :
      5 Marie Lu Amazingsauce Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment