Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Review : Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Goodreads:
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

                     My Thoughts:

Wow! Just wow!  I said it before, that I'm  "NOT" a fan of dystopian - Post apocalyptic themes. But , Hey! After The  Hunger Games and Legend Trilogy....and now, this? I would say, I am starting to LOVE this new genre.

Angel themed stories are fascinating... but put it inside  of a post apocalyptic scenario? More than amazing! I never thought or even imagined Angels going against mankind and vice versa? This book was a beautiful surprise!

War against the angels? How can mankind even stood a chance? Destruction  and chaos followed. People are either hiding  ... some drove into madness and become savages. I love how Ms. Ee wrote the entire scenario! The carnage... and brutality around them... it was well detailed ...so vivid that I felt goosebumps just picturing it.

The characters, Penryn and Raffe.. I absolutely love everything about them! Penryn is what I pictured my heroine would ever be. She is   fearless, funny ( Wait for her snarky comebacks!chuckle-worthy!) , totally kick ass! ( My ! I was in shock when she fought with a man , Yes A man! Twice her size! in a fist fight?!)....and selfless to a fault !

Raffe on the other hand,  he is one cocky, sarcastic archangel who happens to be agnostic which happens to be a shock, because...really? He's a freaking archangel?! Yeah, you can tell the irony there....and here's the thing, he's a WINGLESS archangel!! Well, not that he had a choice, it was forcefully ripped away from him while wrestling with a few sadistic, blood thirsty, brute angels.( Or should I call evil angels? If there's such thing?!) .

 Enter our seventeen year old Penryn, caught between  the crossfire....which ended up to her saving Raffe ( also ironic! ).... which also backfired when these evil angels took her little cripple sister away from her! Then, the amazing , heart stopping search and rescue begins!

I just love everything about this book. I love Raffe and Penryn's chemistry. It's not insta - love...so nothing cliche-ish here, or so as I think it is. There's no gag worthy  love at first sight here, in fact , they did not even like each other! ( Oh?! Is it so?! *winks* ) They are together because they have to...or at least because Penryn kinda hostage Raffe's broken wings?! So, it's a deal :" Lead me to my sister and I'll give you back your wings."

And yes, what's a great  book without a few "swoony" and "Awwww" moments?  I got a few favorites and it has something to do with ...surprising "non verbal" but really screaming " Oh, I totally dig you?!" Haha!

" His pupils dilate when he sees me. His lips part, momentarily forgetting  to marshal his expression, and I could swear he stops breathing for several heartbeats. "

See, NON VERBAL! And I was all giddy and was about to shout, "Finally, Raffe?! You noticed Penryn?!  Note to self : Wear a teeny red dress, a pair of vicious stilettos and Yes! Prettify that face! Bammm! HELLO RAFFE!!

Oh, and that did not stop there! As much as I hate it, I got to hold off my very excited self  and NOT to spill any spoilers  here! All I have to say, good..good stuff are coming ahead! Keywords : Danger.. great Twist, Tear inducing moments and More questions!

Love, loved this book! Looking forward for the sequel for sure!

             I'm giving this book:
            5 heart stopping stars


No comments:

Post a Comment