Saturday, December 20, 2014

A Review : The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon

The Law of Moses
From Goodreads:

If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.
 



                    My Thoughts:
I have no words but WOW! This book ...... truly amazing!

My first book from Amy Harmon and surely won't be my last. I admit , the beautiful cover was the first thing that caught my attention ...well, the title was also intriguing, right?

When I started reading, it was no doubt both beautiful and intriguing. The characters just came alive. I can't only picture out Moses and Georgia but also felt what they are feeling. I tell you, it was overwhelming, I wish I could put it into words but as always, reading an awesome book can leave me a little dumbstruck. 

So, please forgive me, Ms. Harmon if my review would never justify how amazing your book was. 
To say that this book was well-written was an understatement. It was more than that. If I say that her words were like heartbeats , constant...beating ..alive, would you silently nod in agreement? For Amy Harmon fans, I saw a smile...maybe , a little sigh. .. that's a yes, right? 

This book, this book... Ahhhhh.. So many feels! I love the cracked Moses  but there are times I groaned in frustration like, Moses..Moses.... so clueless! Can you see the signs? It's all over you? How could you treat Georgia that way? Why brush her off? *groans* Mannnnnn.... 

And Georgia, sweet, sweet, trusting Georgia...I just love her . If anybody can have a heart of gold , she'd be named Georgia. I love her persistence when it comes to the stubborn Moses. Where people of Levan stayed away from the "cracked" Moses, Georgia scooted closer , weaving herself into Moses' life...eventually made Moses break one of  his laws.

There are so MUCH , much more to LOVE about this book and I find it so hard to write it down without worrying about the spoilers. As much restraint as I can  hold here are some:

1. I LOVE  how Ms. Harmon described Moses' art. Can colors be that vivid  and feels like it can jump right off my book? I won't be surprised if I had splats of  paint  all over me. Yes, it feels real!

2.  I  LOVE the characters.
Georgia :

“Any time you start feeling sorry for yourself or you go into a rant about how bad life sucks, you immediately have to name five greats.”

Georgia's FIVE GREATS , I loved them! The five greats teaches us to be grateful of  anything, everything...a person or even the most simple , mundane things we often overlooked in our everyday life.   It was truly an inspiration.


Moses:


“He was like water—cold, deep, unpredictable, and, like the pond up the canyon, dangerous, because you could never see what was beneath the surface. And just like I’d done all my life, I jumped in head first, even though I’d been forbidden. But this time, I drowned.”

----Well, who could resist that  Dangerous and forbidden?  Okay, setting that fact aside, ( See, how fast I get distracted?  Hah! ) , I love to see Moses' gradual change. His acceptance of his gift he considered a curse, and the way he tried to made up for it. It was really heartbreaking, learning that truth but somehow, he had his ways. I love, loved it. My favorite part is when he said this words :

" I hope you can forgive me. Because this is happening. Me and Georgia. This is happening. "


----Me ? Melting in a puddle of love goo! Go , get your woman, Moses! * sigh*


3. I LOVE how Ms. Harmon build that suspense. With those missing girls.. and Moses visions? My brain's been non spinning! I could guess but can't be 100 percent sure.  A budding romance, combined it with angst, some eerie "goosebumps-enducing" moments and a constant reminder of impending danger?  THAT is a perfect blend of unputable book!

4. Lastly, the epilogue! It was truly amazing beyond words. Moses, deserved it. It was a beautiful chance and the perfect closure. I cried, it was a very touching scene. 


Overall, I got nothing to say but I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this  book. If you want to read something really different  and REALLY amazing, PICK this book, you won't regret it. Promise. 


               I'm giving this book:
                   Five Great Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment